Compassion:– sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
* The word “compassion” is mentioned 40 times in the Bible.
Scriptures to back up compassion:
- “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12
- “I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” Exodus 33: 19
- “Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion.” Isaiah 30:18
- “says the LORD, who has compassion on you.” Isaiah 54:10
1. an intense feeling of deep affection
2. a person or thing that one loves.
The word “love” is mentioned over 100 times in the Bible.
- “But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High.” Luke 6:35
- “The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:31
- “Love must be sincere.” Romans 12:9
Without compassion we cannot truly love and without love we cannot truly have compassion. Compassion is an act of selflessness. Compassion is when we care for others without caring what we get in return. Compassion stirs up our emotions. We grow connections to people through compassion. We feel what others feel through compassion. We relate to others with compassion. Love is how we deal with our compassion. It is how we put compassion into practice. It is how we build relationships. God tells us to love. He tells to be compassionate. He says it time and time again in different several different wordings. Compassion comes from a pure heart. Love comes from a pure heart. The two are wrapped into one. They both must be sincere. Love your neighbor, God says. When dealing with rough situations and difficult people, be compassionate. Know that underneath the face you’re looking at is pain and hurt you know nothing about. Love without making people work for it. Showing love can change someone’s life. If we only showed love and compassion to people who were always nice and perfect, we would reach no one. It’s people with troubled spirits and hearts who need to see God’s love and compassion the most. God is working through us to speak to his people. No matter how difficult they may be, they could be the ones who need it most. Pray for others. Pray for the people you want to give up on, because even though we may fail each other, God doesn’t. He doesn’t ever up on anyone us. God shows us compassion and love every minute of every day. Our testimony derives from the two. We walk on both. They are our foundation and fundamentals. Two words, but the same thing. Have both. Be both.